For puppies aged 13 weeks to 6 months. The class includes methods for teaching the basic commands, such as sit, down, leave, watch, collar grab, wait, recall on lead, some loose leash walking, owner performs grooming checks, these are taught at a level appropriate to the age and attention span of the youngsters. In order to get maximum benefit from the class there is homework to practice for 5 to 10 minutes every day. Participants also receive a comprehensive training booklet. Maximum ten puppies per class
Classes: Tuesday's 6.30pm - to approx 7.15pm (we suggest you arrive around 6.15pm to walk pup around and get all the smelling over and done with)
NOTE: For Term 1 2022 we are adding a mixed Puppy/New Entrants Class at the later time of 7.30pm.
This class will be subject to confirmation from Kapiti Dog Training Club.
This option can be selected when registering for the class
Minimum age of dog: 13 weeks Minimum age of handler: 16 years
Pre-requisites: Puppy must have had at least two vaccinations. Note: We train outdoors and cannot provide sterile training grounds therefore we recommend you consult with your veterinarian before enrolling in the class.
To enrol in this class, dogs must be at least 13 weeks old
The handler of the dog must be at least 16 years of age.
The handler is required to have a vaild vaccine pass
Click here to go to the Dog Training Registration online enrolment page. (NB Choose the puppy class)
What to bring.
- Your puppy must have a properly fitted flat collar; approved types are; buckle up or Martingale style collar fitting snug enough to prevent it from slipping back over your dog’s head. Ideally two fingers can be inserted between the collar and the dog’s neck. If you prefer, a well-fitted traditional style harness or Halti can be added as well as an appropriate collar. Slip chain or choke collars are not permitted.
- A 1.2-metre (minimum) light weight leather or nylon / polyester leash is recommended. No chain or retractable leashes are allowed.
- Ensure you always have at least two dog poop bags
- A bum bag / pet training bag or a suitable pocket to allow easy instant access to food treats during training.
- HIGH VALUE training treats. You will need plenty of them so bring more than you think you will need. “Wet” SOFT cubed treats are best for training rewards, use sausage, saveloy, dog roll (e.g. Possyum or Superior Chunky), raw mince, low fat cheese, or cooked chicken. Its best to avoid dry crumbly / crunchy cookie-type treats. We recommend you do not give your puppy any food before they come as the best time to train your dog is before meal times. Hunger aids concentration.
- For dogs who are not food orientated, find a tug toy they get excited about and keep it specifically for training only, and not general play. No squeaky toys please as these distracts other dogs. You can use a clicker if you want to.
- A clicker if you use the clicker training method.
- In winter months bring an old mat or towel for your puppy to sit on.
What to wear.
For comfort and safety, we recommend closed toe shoes. No jandals, sandals, backless shoes, high heels etc. We train all year-round, warm wet weather gear is needed on winter nights. Feel free to put a dog coat on your dog if you wish, remember that they feel the cold too. Come to class comfortably dressed. Pants are more suitable than skirts.
Registration and vaccination.
Your dog must be currently registered with your local council and microchipped. Puppies need to be registered by three months of age with microchipping within two months of registration.
Dogs are vaccinated against Canine Distemper, Hepatitis, and Parvovirus. They can also be vaccinated against Kennel Cough and Leptospirosis at your request. Puppies are given their first of three vaccinations at six weeks of age – consult your veterinarian re best Vaccination Programme for your puppy. Typically your puppy would have had two vaccinations before attending. Our grounds are not sterile so it is important that your puppy has been vaccinated before attending.
If you can no longer attend the course for any reason, notification as soon as possible would be most appreciated (email firstname.lastname@example.org). Cancellations received seven days prior to the start of the course will be refunded, less a $10 administration charge. Cancellations received within seven days of the start of the course will be refunded on the same basis only if the place can be refilled, otherwise there will be no refund. The Committee may consider written applications for a full or partial refund at their sole discretion and only in exceptional circumstances