Junior Handlers Class
For children under the age of 16 years. This class is held on a Wednesday at 6.30pm for approximately 1/2 hour. We will be doing lots of fun things to do with your dog. Children must be accompanied by an adult for the session. Sessions will include basic obedience, tricks and some basic agility. Maximum class number would be 10.
Junior Handlers Class includes games with some high energy play activity. For safety reasons we must assess all enrollments for suitability before attending this class. Please do not be offended if we decline your application for safety reasons, our top priority is to ensure every child and dog attending has fun and remains safe.
Dogs must be assessed for suitability before acceptance into Junior Handlers Class. In cases of non-acceptance, a full refund will be issued and following initial correspondence no further communications will be entered into.
Classes: Wednesday's 6.30pm - to approx 7.00pm (we suggest you arrive around 6.15pm to walk your dog around and get all the smelling over and done with)
Pre-requisites: Dogs to be fully vaccinated
To enrol in this class, dogs must be fully vaccinated
The handler of the dog must be under the age of 16 and accompanied by an adult for the session
If the handelr is over 12 years and 3 months they and the accompanying adult are required to have valid vaccine passes..
Note: this class is only held in Term 1 and Term 4
Click here to go to the Dog Training Registration online enrolment page. (NB Choose the Junior Handler class)
What to bring.
- Your dog must have a properly fitted flat collar; approved types are; buckle up or Martingale style collar fitting snug enough to prevent it from slipping back over your dog’s head. Ideally two fingers can be inserted between the collar and the dog’s neck. If you prefer, a well-fitted traditional style harness or Halti can be added as well as an appropriate collar. Slip chain or choke collars are not permitted.
- A 1.2-metre (minimum) light weight leather or nylon / polyester leash is recommended. No chain or retractable leashes are allowed.
- Ensure you always have at least two dog poop bags
- A bum bag / pet training bag or a suitable pocket to allow easy instant access to food treats during training.
- HIGH VALUE training treats. You will need plenty of them so bring more than you think you will need. “Wet” SOFT cubed treats are best for training rewards, use sausage, saveloy, dog roll (e.g. Possyum or Superior Chunky), raw mince, low fat cheese, or cooked chicken. Its best to avoid dry crumbly / crunchy cookie-type treats. We recommend you do not give your puppy any food before they come as the best time to train your dog is before meal times. Hunger aids concentration.
- For dogs who are not food orientated, find a tug toy they get excited about and keep it specifically for training only, and not general play. No squeaky toys please as these distracts other dogs.
What to wear.
For comfort and safety, we recommend closed toe shoes. No jandals, sandals, backless shoes, high heels etc. We train all year-round, warm wet weather gear is needed on winter nights. Feel free to put a dog coat on your dog if you wish, remember that they feel the cold too. Come to class comfortably dressed. Pants are more suitable than skirts.
Registration and vaccination.
Your dog must be currently registered with your local council and microchipped.
Dogs are vaccinated against Canine Distemper, Hepatitis, and Parvovirus. They can also be vaccinated against Kennel Cough and Leptospirosis at your request. Consult your veterinarian re best Vaccination Programme for your dog. Typically your dog would have had two vaccinations before attending. Our grounds are not sterile so it is important that your dog has been vaccinated before attending.
If you can no longer attend the course for any reason, notification as soon as possible would be most appreciated (email email@example.com). Cancellations received seven days prior to the start of the course will be refunded, less a $10 administration charge. Cancellations received within seven days of the start of the course will be refunded on the same basis only if the place can be refilled, otherwise there will be no refund. The Committee may consider written applications for a full or partial refund at their sole discretion and only in exceptional circumstances. If you can not attend the class for any reason, notification as soon as possible would be most appreciated (email firstname.lastname@example.org).